Wednesday May 19, 2021 – The 2nd major championship of the 2021 season is here as the PGA Tour heads to Kiawah Island’s Ocean Course for the 2021 PGA Championship.
Designed by Pete and Alice Dye in 1989, the coastal course is home to some of the most scenic golf on tour. With skinny fairways, breezy conditions, insane length, and plenty of hazards to contend with, driving accuracy is going to be at a premium this week.
This isn’t the first time Kiawah has hosted a PGA Championship. Back in 2012, Rory picked up his first of two PGA Championships after winning by a record breaking 8-strokes.
By the numbers:
- Par 72. Kiawah played to a 74.6 scoring average back in 2012.
- 7,876 yards. This is the longest venue in major history; 135-yards longer than Erin Hills, the site of the 2017 U.S. Open.
- 156 players. 156 of the worlds best will make the trek to Kiawah Island, South Carolina this week.
- $11 million. The total purse for the 2021 PGA Championship.
- $1.98 million. The prize money awarded to the major champion.
- 10,000. The # of spectators allowed per day.
- $200 million. The economic impact projected to be generated this week.
And for our real estate readers, Kiawah Island has become one of the premiere destinations in the country. And, the real estate market is booming. 2020 saw a record $807 million in closings across 656 transactions.
So, whether you’re planning on attending the event, vacationing, or looking to buy a place, be prepared to open up those checkbooks.
Coverage kicks off Thursday AM. You can check out featured groups and tee times here.
P.S. Rory picks up PGA Championship #3 this week. You heard it here first (we think).